Friday, February 4, 2011

A life changing 11 days

I got back from my 11 day trip to Israel about a week ago. Let me just say it was an absolute life changing experience. I have never felt connected to being Jewish and honestly really didn't care one way or another but after these 11 days, not only did I connect with my religion I felt the love and compassion of the Israeli people.

When a stranger comes up and talks to you on the street in America you are hesitant and tense. In Israel, it is completely normal for people on the streets to pick up a conversation about where you are from, where you have been in the country so far, and how ling you are visiting for.

Everyone that has done birthright always says the trip is life changing/the best experience/ amazing. I always wanted more information, WHY was it so great, what made it life changing. After this trip I can't say why it was amazing, or life changing either but it was. I can't tell you what my favorite part was because I wouldn't want to change anything about this trip. Whether it was being stuck on a plane for 21 hours straight, bus rides with the group, meeting Israeli soldiers, the cancelled flights back. It all was my favorite.

Coming back to the states was sobering. It was a flight back to reality. Back to classes and work. The stresses of life. When I was in Israel I didn't worry about anything, I felt at peace. I didn't have the life stresses, school stresses, or work stresses that always can bring down. I had to move back to school the day after I got back. No time to relax or reflect and it's funny because as I am walking around campus I swear I see one of the 8 soldiers that were on our trip with us. Or other kids that were on the trip almost as if I wish to see them because I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet.

I love America don't get me wrong and It will most likely be my home forever but Israel was different. I can't put into words how welcome I felt by other Israelis. The things I learned, the lessons I brought back will be with me for a long time. I hope my children and my children's children will get to have the same wonderful opportunity I did.

Taglit-Birthright changed my life.

Song: One Day by: Matiyahu

No comments:

Post a Comment